Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Gift of Good-Byes

One of the hardest parts about the moments of the last week are the constant good-byes.  These don't count just people, but saying good-bye to places, sites of important memories such as the home where we brought home each of our kids.  But most frighteningly is saying good-bye to a way of life in which I am very content.  I like our house, our neighbors, our church, our schools and all the lovely people who are a part of our lives here in St. Louis. 

I think maybe the most wonderful and unexpected gift of the whole process has been how amazing it is to experience a challenge that results in such support from friends and family.  This has allowed us to witness the depth and extent of the friendships we have created. I am humbled by our friends' acts of kindnesses...  Will's soccer coach giving him a soccer ball signed by the team, Catherine Cox giving me a journal to record my thoughts (and one of the kindest cards I have ever received), Marie Wesolowski (who wins the award for most helpful friend) and Susan Conley offering time and time again to take the kids, the Johnsons taking the boys fishing for the day, Jennifer McGillivery taking Josi to play, the teachers at school creating booklets for the kids to do on the plane and working to keep a network in place for the kids with their classmates, the calendar of pictures from the Cub Scouts for Jack, Cubmaster Steve Gum who made sure the kids know they will be missed and encouraging them with their move, my neighbor Sandy offering her basement for storage, Ann Mabry (who also deserves an award) coming over to help me pack and making us a farewell dinner and helping dispose of our furniture. Friends who have helped organize and throw farewell celebrations like the Williams, Mosses and Sigmunds.   I know there are others I have forgotten to mention, but I felt like I needed to mention some of the friends who have been so selfless with their time and showed their support through their actions. It is so bittersweet because the kindness of these people make it even harder to say good-bye.  My only saving grace is to believe that we hope to be back to continue those friendships and hopefully make new friends to add to the treasuretrove already in place.

So it is with a sad but very grateful heart that I look around my house that I have loved so much and count my blessings.  Tonight, the house is mostly packed up and we are close to being ready to go.  The furniture is on its way by sea.  We will travel with 11 bags that can weigh up to 70 pounds each plus 5 carry-ons and a few personal bags that will go with us on the plane.  Can you imagine the number of tiny little Swiss cars it will take to get all our luggage to our apartment? :) 

I am ready to be there and for the adventure to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment