Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Man on the Bus

Now that we have adjusted to the time change and are beginning to figure things out a little, I am looking forward to beginning a routine.  Jack starts school on Wednesday which is the International School's first day back after mid-October break.  I am hoping some second grader doesn't show up after the break so Will has a spot soon as well.  I am looking into a preschool a couple of mornings or so for Josi - I think she would do really well in a bi-lingual school so that she is taught part of the time in German.  I can't wait to hear the kids speak German.  It is one of things I am looking forward to the most.

We bought our train passes yesterday.  They are one of the few things that are reasonably affordable for adults and very affordable for the children and a much better deal than daily or round trip rates ... and it simply feels better to not have to hand over money to travel to the grocery store!

We normally walk about a half mile to the train station and head out from there.  It is a really nice walk and we are trying to do more of that.  On the way back it was raining so we skipped the train completely and took the bus that drops off about a half a block from our home. 

As we were waiting for the bus, a gentleman of about 70 years of age sat down by Jack and spoke to him in Swiss German. When Jack answered in English, he spoke to him in English and began a conversation.  I told him it was our first time to ride the bus here and wondered if we needed to push the button before our stop or if the bus automatically stops at each stop - one of those little things that makes you feel better once you know what to do.

The kids began talking to him.  They told him we had moved here last week.  Josi told him her dad was in Paris for a whole week.  Will (who stood up every time he spoke and sat down afterwards) told him that he had never been here before we moved here.  He told the kids how much fun they would have learning a new language and that his little granddaughter is five and speaks four languages.  He seemed to be a genuinely kind man who sat across from us as we boarded the bus.  Right before his stop, he asked if I had a pen and he took it and wrote down his name and number.  He said, "My name is the same as the famous ketchup - Heinz.  If you need anything at all, please call me.  Please do not hesitate.  Even if you and your husband are looking for a place to eat.  I have llived in your town for 14 years and now live in the neighboring one.  I would be happy to help."

I was genuinely touched by the gesture.  I teared up a little as he handed me his name and number.  It was such a random act of kindness, one of many that I have experienced here. 

I often wonder why we are here - what we will gain from this experience that will make us better people and make it worth all the effort?  I keep thinking it will be obvious things like travel and culture.   But maybe it will be the small things such as a greater understanding of the value of small acts of kindness.  I thought I knew those before, but I have been dramatically educated in that area by our friends back in St. Louis and a number of virtual strangers here who have been so kind to help in any way they can.  And since my life has slowed down to a crawl here for the moment, I am able to say hello in my terrible Swiss German to every person we pass on the street and appreciate each kindness, regardless of how small or simple. I hope that is a lesson our family has learned for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment